Trying to Build My First Website

Hi, I don’t know where I went wrong and I’m trying to get some help. The following is my code so far, thank you in advance for any help someone might be able to give me.

<link rel="stylesheet" href="homepage.css">

<meta charset="UTF-8">

<meta name="M&M Creations Homepage"

content="biography, pictures of baked goods">

<meta "keywords"

content= Cakes Chattanooga, Cupcakes Chattanooga, Catering Chattanooga,

Wedding Cakes Chattanooga, Children's Birthday Party food, affordable catering, affordable wedding cakes>

<!---We'll try these first andd see what happens--->

<meta name= "author"

content="M. H. Tabb">

<meta name="viewport"

content= "width=device-width, initial scale=1.0"
{box-sizing: border-box } body { margin:0; } .header { background-color: #f1f1f1; padding: 20px; text-align: center; } .topnav { overflow: hidden; background-color: #333; } .topnav a { float: left; display: block; color: #f2f2f2; text-align: center; padding: 14px 16px; text-decoration: none; } .topnav a:hover { background-color: #ddd; color: black; } .column { float: left; width: 33.33% padding: 15px; } @media screen and (max-width:600px) { .column { width: 100% } }

Welcome to M&M Creations!!!

Hi @ksig286! Can you give more information as what you’re trying to achieve?

From the markup you provided, it seems that you’re working in your <head> tag. This tag contains specific information about the web page and is never displayed on the page.

Sure, thank you for the response. What I’m trying to achieve is a 3-4 pg website for my friends who happen to be twins that own a cake and catering business, but lack web presence. My initial goal was to make it to where they were found easily with SEO keywords, had a good welcoming homepage with a topnav to the other pages, and somehow incorporate a way customers can fill outage contact form and pay a flat deposit through paypal or a similar payment gateway. I’m just starting out and never realized how extremely difficult this task could be so I keep downsizing my original idea to something manageable and hope that with learning more I can obtain my original goal.

Out a* not outage. Sorry.

This might seem like a lot for a first webpage but it’s definitely manageable once you break it down into smaller pieces. I’d start with learning HTML and CSS. Play around building different pages so you can get a feel for the markup. Then design how you would like the pages to look more or less on paper. Once you have your roadmap, you can start putting the pieces together.

There are plenty of resources available online such as w3schools and MDN Web Docs to start learning. Hope this helps you on your journey!

1 Like