Trouble with requirement installation

While installing the requirements, I have been encountering a number of issues.

1. When installing gems I receive the following message

“ERROR: While executing gem … (Gem::FilePermissionError)
You don’t have write permissions for the /Library/Ruby/Gems/2.3.0 directory.
/Users/James/.dotfiles/bin/install_requirements: line 101: bundle: command not found”

This is then followed by “install_requirements: Gems installed”

1. While installing node packages,I receive the following message

v8-profiler@5.7.0 preinstall /Users/James/.nvm/versions/node/v8.9.4/lib/node_modules/node-inspector/node_modules/v8-profiler
node -e ‘process.exit(0)’

v8-debug@1.0.1 preinstall /Users/James/.nvm/versions/node/v8.9.4/lib/node_modules/node-inspector/node_modules/v8-debug
node -e ‘process.exit(0)’

/Users/James/.nvm/versions/node/v8.9.4/bin/eslint -> /Users/James/.nvm/versions/node/v8.9.4/lib/node_modules/eslint/bin/eslint.js
/Users/James/.nvm/versions/node/v8.9.4/bin/json -> /Users/James/.nvm/versions/node/v8.9.4/lib/node_modules/json/lib/json.js
/Users/James/.nvm/versions/node/v8.9.4/bin/node-debug -> /Users/James/.nvm/versions/node/v8.9.4/lib/node_modules/node-inspector/bin/node-debug.js
/Users/James/.nvm/versions/node/v8.9.4/bin/node-inspector -> /Users/James/.nvm/versions/node/v8.9.4/lib/node_modules/node-inspector/bin/inspector.js
/Users/James/.nvm/versions/node/v8.9.4/bin/phantomjs -> /Users/James/.nvm/versions/node/v8.9.4/lib/node_modules/phantomjs-prebuilt/bin/phantomjs
/Users/James/.nvm/versions/node/v8.9.4/bin/webpack -> /Users/James/.nvm/versions/node/v8.9.4/lib/node_modules/webpack/bin/webpack.js

v8-debug@1.0.1 install /Users/James/.nvm/versions/node/v8.9.4/lib/node_modules/node-inspector/node_modules/v8-debug
node-pre-gyp install --fallback-to-build

node-pre-gyp ERR! Tried to download(404): https://node-inspector.s3.amazonaws.com/debug/v1.0.1/node-v57-darwin-x64.tar.gz
node-pre-gyp ERR! Pre-built binaries not found for v8-debug@1.0.1 and node@8.9.4 (node-v57 ABI, unknown) (falling back to source compile with node-gyp)
CXX(target) Release/obj.target/debug/src/debug.o
…/src/debug.cc:41:20: warning: ‘Call’ is deprecated [-Wdeprecated-declarations]
v8::Debug::Call(context, fn);
^
/Users/James/.node-gyp/8.9.4/include/node/v8-debug.h:192:3: note: ‘Call’ has
been explicitly marked deprecated here
V8_DEPRECATED(“No longer supported”,
^
/Users/James/.node-gyp/8.9.4/include/node/v8config.h:321:29: note: expanded from
macro 'V8_DEPRECATED’
declarator attribute((deprecated))
^
…/src/debug.cc:52:45: warning: ‘GetDebugContext’ is deprecated
[-Wdeprecated-declarations]
Isolate* debug_isolate = v8::Debug::GetDebugContext(Isolate::Get…
^
/Users/James/.node-gyp/8.9.4/include/node/v8-debug.h:208:3: note:
‘GetDebugContext’ has been explicitly marked deprecated here
V8_DEPRECATED(“Use v8-inspector”,
^
/Users/James/.node-gyp/8.9.4/include/node/v8config.h:321:29: note: expanded from
macro 'V8_DEPRECATED’
^
…/src/debug.cc:57:20: warning: ‘SendCommand’ is deprecated
v8::Debug::SendCommand(debug_isolate, *command, command.length());
^
/Users/James/.node-gyp/8.9.4/include/node/v8-debug.h:169:3: note: 'SendCommand’
has been explicitly marked deprecated here
V8_DEPRECATED(“No longer supported”,
^
macro 'V8_DEPRECATED’
^
…/src/debug.cc:71:51: warning: ‘GetDebugContext’ is deprecated
Local debug_context = v8::Debug::GetDebugContext(Isolat…
^
^
macro 'V8_DEPRECATED’
^
…/src/debug.cc:78:22: error: no member named ‘GetMirror’ in 'v8::Debug’
v8::Debug::GetMirror(info.GetIsolate()->GetCurrentContext(), info[0]);
~~~~~~~~~~~^
…/src/debug.cc:80:38: warning: ‘GetDebugContext’ is deprecated
debug_context = v8::Debug::GetDebugContext(Isolate::GetCurrent());
^
^
macro 'V8_DEPRECATED’
^
5 warnings and 1 error generated.
make: *** [Release/obj.target/debug/src/debug.o] Error 1
gyp ERR! build error
gyp ERR! stack Error: make failed with exit code: 2
gyp ERR! stack at ChildProcess.onExit (/Users/James/.nvm/versions/node/v8.9.4/lib/node_modules/npm/node_modules/node-gyp/lib/build.js:258:23)
gyp ERR! stack at emitTwo (events.js:126:13)
gyp ERR! stack at ChildProcess.emit (events.js:214:7)
gyp ERR! stack at Process.ChildProcess._handle.onexit (internal/child_process.js:198:12)
gyp ERR! System Darwin 17.3.0
gyp ERR! command “/Users/James/.nvm/versions/node/v8.9.4/bin/node” “/Users/James/.nvm/versions/node/v8.9.4/lib/node_modules/npm/node_modules/node-gyp/bin/node-gyp.js” “build” “–fallback-to-build” “–module=/Users/James/.nvm/versions/node/v8.9.4/lib/node_modules/node-inspector/node_modules/v8-debug/build/debug/v1.0.1/node-v57-darwin-x64/debug.node” “–module_name=debug” "–module_path=/Users/James/.nvm/versions/node/v8.9.4/lib/node_modules/node-inspector/node_modules/v8-debug/build/debug/v1.0.1/node-v57-darwin-x64"
gyp ERR! cwd /Users/James/.nvm/versions/node/v8.9.4/lib/node_modules/node-inspector/node_modules/v8-debug
gyp ERR! node -v v8.9.4
gyp ERR! node-gyp -v v3.6.2
gyp ERR! not ok
node-pre-gyp ERR! build error
node-pre-gyp ERR! stack Error: Failed to execute ‘/Users/James/.nvm/versions/node/v8.9.4/bin/node /Users/James/.nvm/versions/node/v8.9.4/lib/node_modules/npm/node_modules/node-gyp/bin/node-gyp.js build --fallback-to-build --module=/Users/James/.nvm/versions/node/v8.9.4/lib/node_modules/node-inspector/node_modules/v8-debug/build/debug/v1.0.1/node-v57-darwin-x64/debug.node --module_name=debug --module_path=/Users/James/.nvm/versions/node/v8.9.4/lib/node_modules/node-inspector/node_modules/v8-debug/build/debug/v1.0.1/node-v57-darwin-x64’ (1)
node-pre-gyp ERR! stack at ChildProcess. (/Users/James/.nvm/versions/node/v8.9.4/lib/node_modules/node-inspector/node_modules/node-pre-gyp/lib/util/compile.js:83:29)
node-pre-gyp ERR! stack at emitTwo (events.js:126:13)
node-pre-gyp ERR! stack at ChildProcess.emit (events.js:214:7)
node-pre-gyp ERR! stack at maybeClose (internal/child_process.js:925:16)
node-pre-gyp ERR! stack at Process.ChildProcess._handle.onexit (internal/child_process.js:209:5)
node-pre-gyp ERR! System Darwin 17.3.0
node-pre-gyp ERR! command “/Users/James/.nvm/versions/node/v8.9.4/bin/node” “/Users/James/.nvm/versions/node/v8.9.4/lib/node_modules/node-inspector/node_modules/.bin/node-pre-gyp” “install” "–fallback-to-build"
node-pre-gyp ERR! cwd /Users/James/.nvm/versions/node/v8.9.4/lib/node_modules/node-inspector/node_modules/v8-debug
node-pre-gyp ERR! node -v v8.9.4
node-pre-gyp ERR! node-pre-gyp -v v0.6.39
node-pre-gyp ERR! not ok
Failed to execute ‘/Users/James/.nvm/versions/node/v8.9.4/bin/node /Users/James/.nvm/versions/node/v8.9.4/lib/node_modules/npm/node_modules/node-gyp/bin/node-gyp.js build --fallback-to-build --module=/Users/James/.nvm/versions/node/v8.9.4/lib/node_modules/node-inspector/node_modules/v8-debug/build/debug/v1.0.1/node-v57-darwin-x64/debug.node --module_name=debug --module_path=/Users/James/.nvm/versions/node/v8.9.4/lib/node_modules/node-inspector/node_modules/v8-debug/build/debug/v1.0.1/node-v57-darwin-x64’ (1)
npm ERR! code ELIFECYCLE
npm ERR! errno 1
npm ERR! v8-debug@1.0.1 install: node-pre-gyp install --fallback-to-build
npm ERR! Exit status 1
npm ERR!
npm ERR! Failed at the v8-debug@1.0.1 install script.
npm ERR! This is probably not a problem with npm. There is likely additional logging output above.

npm ERR! A complete log of this run can be found in:
npm ERR! /Users/James/.npm/_logs/2018-01-23T22_25_08_787Z-debug.log

I am very lost trying to make sense of what is going on here. Can you provide any clarity?

To add to what I posted: regarding the gem installation, I attempted the solution listed in this thread ([RESOLVED] Trouble with RSPEC) but it did not seem to resolve my issue.

Hi jameshkyoo,

Can you tell me the exact commands you’ve ran and in what order?

After running the commands that m1010j mentions in the thread you posted, you need to quit the terminal and open it again (or close the current terminal window sometimes works as well), in order for it to be successful.

What do you get when you run “rbenv -v”?

Hi Mashu,

As outlined in the alpha course, I downloaded dotfiles and then attempted to install the requirements and config files. Because I encountered the issues outlined above, I attempted the solution in the other thread. I did quit the terminal and open it again before attempting to download the requirements again.

In response to your other inquiry, I get “rbenv 1.1.1”

Thanks for your help.

I’m not sure what changed, but I was successfully able to install the ruby gems just now. The node package installation still causes an error however.

1 Like

Sounds good. Can you give me some descriptions with what you are running, and what error messages you’re getting back when trying to install node package?

Sure.

I downloaded the dotfiles with “cd ~
git clone https://github.com/appacademy/dotfiles.git .dotfiles” without any issue

Downloaded the requirements with “~/.dotfiles/bin/install_requirements”. I’ve attached screenshots of the error messages generated when trying to install node package because I am not sure how to parse through this.

I seemed to install the config files without problem ("~/.dotfiles/bin/install_dotfiles")

Hi Mashu,

Just checking in about solutions to the error messages I received.

Hi James,

This looks difficult to troubleshoot remotely. Fortunately, you were able to get your Ruby environment all set up, which means you’ll be able to go through the prep work on your machine. Once you start the program in person, a teaching assistant will be able to look at your machine to fix the remaining issues. But don’t worry: The issue you’re having is with your JavaScript environment. We don’t start working on JavaScript until a few weeks in the curriculum. So when you first get to the office, just ask someone to help finish setting up your machine. In the meantime, if you ever want to play around with JavaScript, you can do so here for example.

Actually, it looks like you’re not the only person who’s having this issue, as yours seems to be the same as the one described here. And it looks like the issue is related to the file https://node-inspector.s3.amazonaws.com/debug/v1.0.1/node-v57-darwin-x64.tar.gz not being available. We’ll look into what’s going on here, but it may not be anything we can fix on our end. I recommend you try again in a few days to see if the person who’s in charge of hosting the node-v57-darwin-x64.tar.gz fixes it.

Thank you Matthias. I’ll check again in a few days and post here if it works successfully, just in case anyone else stumbles on this thread.