Trouble installing ubuntu 16.04 with Windows in dual boot

Hello,

Has anyone successfully installed Ubuntu 16.04.2 LST alongside Windows 10 in dual boot?

TLDR: Do not see “Install Ubuntu Alongside Windows Boot Manager” during Ubuntu Installation setup.

During Ubuntu Installation setup, cannot see or select partitions from main C drive and other drives, which means I cannot select the created new unallocated space created specifically for installing Ubuntu. I am only able to see and partition the storage space from the 32GB bootable USB stick during Ubuntu Installation setup.

Overview:
I created a bootable USB stick with Windows using Rufus following these Ubuntu instructions.

Next, I follow Step 1 of tecmint tutorial and “Dual-Boot Prep” section in a/A tutorial and create unallocated space of 25GB in main 250GB C drive.

I try using two bootable USB sticks, which had 4GB and 32GB of storage space, reasons that will be explained below.

/
Problems I encountered during sequence of events:

1. I first boot Ubuntu using the 4GB USB stick. The name of the UEFI BOOT (i.e. Windows Boot Manager) on the USB stick during boot setup, is called, “UEFI: #{name of USB stick}, Partition 1” btw. It says that for both USB sticks I use after writing the Ubuntu ISO image using Rufus. Not entirely sure why it says Partition 1 in title.
    /
    Anyways, when I enter the Ubuntu system, the install menu immediately pops up before any of the desktop icons are loaded, and is titled, “Install (as superuser)”. I reach Step 2.5 of tecmint tutorial, and after I select language, I get the following message:
    /
    “You need at least 8.6 GB disk space to install Ubuntu. This computer has only 4.2 GB.”

2. So I decide to boot Ubuntu using a 32 GB USB stick. I overcome the previous insufficient disk space message, and proceed to the next two steps of the installation, which is Step 2.7 of tecmint tutorial. That is when I realize that the option, “Install Ubuntu Alongside Windows Boot Manager” was not available.

3. I bypass this by selecting the option, “Something Else” under Installation Type, and enter Step 2.8 of tecmint tutorial. (The Ubuntu tutorial stops here and does not provide additional assistance on this matter.)
    However, there are no partitions or unallocated space (which was previously created) from my main 250 GB drive, or from any other drives; The only available storage space shown is from the 32GB USB stick.

4. Since that was the only partition that showed, and the USB stick had sufficient storage space, out of exhaustion and the need of any positive results before the end of the day, I decide to go ahead and create two partitions, one for root and another for swap, and successfully install Ubuntu on the 32 GB USB stick using its remaining free storage space.
    /
    At first, I was able to access and login to Ubuntu from USB stick, but that required going and adjusting the boot sequence, and disabling Secure Boot, and enabling Legacy Boot and Legacy Option ROMs, and pressing F12 during reboot to select where to boot from, etc…which was a hassle.
    I was even able to see and access the main C drive and files saved in Windows.
    Today I try accessing Ubuntu via same 32 GB thumb drive and it’s apparently corrupted and requires a reformat.

In conclusion, to the extent of what I experienced, it seems as though booting Ubuntu via USB stick did not detect Windows OS, or any other currently existing drives, like the main 250GB C drive, which contains 3 partitions (EFI System Partition, Recovery Partition, and Primary Partition) and 1 unallocated space. It only recognizes the storage space within the drive that was used to boot Ubuntu, which was the 32GB USB stick.

This would explain why I get the insufficient disk space message when using a 4GB USB stick, and probably why I don’t see the option, “Install Ubuntu Alongside Windows Boot Manager”. Even if I choose to “Try Ubuntu without Installing” in grub screen, I still don’t see the main C drive or folders from Windows.

/
I’m wondering if anyone has encountered the same or a similar issue, and if so, what they did to resolve or try to resolve it, or worked their way around this problem and was able to start Alpha Course in Linux?

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks for reading,
George