App Academy

Setting up a linux environment

is the link we are referred to. It spends the vast majority of its time instructing someone on how to put ubuntu on a flash drive(Why specifically this is beyond me… It seems you could link to two wikihow pages on how to install to disc/drive how to reformat computer as Linux [probably a link on how to effectively back up files etc in a cloud] and how to dual boot a system) and a single paragraph describing how to set up the developer environment we will be using. This paragraph is not sufficient at all. The alpha course points us to this page to help linux users to set up the environment for themselves, and promptly provides no instruction toward this goal.

Thanks Simon!

We are purposefully lacking in Linux instructions because we only support Mac operating systems in the bootcamp. Still, I agree with you that these USB install instructions are really not that useful and it is relatively trivial to install Ruby/Rbenv on a Linux machine for the alpha course. I will pass this on to our curriculum manager and see if we can’t get a basic Ubuntu environment setup reading put together because plenty of students have graduated App Academy using Ubuntu.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Aye. I also managed to find quasi supported versions of many of the dependencies for 32 bit machines- so should anyone else find themselves in a similar situation I will be able to walk them through installing everything necessary for the alpha course (postgresql and atom both require a few work arounds to function with a 32 bit architecture. )

That would be great Simon,

If you would like to document your instructions I would also be happy to pass them along to the curriculum team and they might even find their way into the course!

Hi Simon ! Not using a 32 bit machine but I am using Ubuntu, any chance you could help me out for installing postgresql ?

@harsh,
Here are the steps that worked for me (all run from the command line):

1. Install Postgres:
    sudo apt-get install postgresql postgresql-contrib

2. Setup/configure Postgres server:
    sudo -u postgres createuser --superuser $USER

If you run into the error “role already exists,” you’ll need to replace ‘$USER’ with your desktop username when whenever you see “$USER” in the commands below. For example, if your user name is “RubyFan”, you’ll have to change the “\password $USER” command to “\password RubyFan”

sudo -u postgres psql
\password $USER
\q
  1. Create a Postgres database:
    sudo -u postgres createdb $USER

2. Connect to the database to see if everything worked:
    psql

3. Exit the database and continue with your regular life:
    \q

I hope this help!

1 Like