RSPEC Practice 1-4 Files empty

Hi,

I took a break from the Alpha course and did the Git, Command Line, and Ruby courses on Codecademy and the Beginning Ruby book. I had stopped on RSPEC.

I returned to RSPEC today and hit the Fork button then cloned the repository to my laptop. I was able to do the first test exercise with 00_hello_spec.rb as the code is in the file. But when I moved on to other exercises there was nothing to run because the files are completely empty.

Where do I get this content and how are others moving ahead? I removed the local clone and cloned it again in case it was a download problem of some sort but it is not.

Also can I please have access to the old prepwork on github in case this happens again? My username on there is rachelmoore. Thank you!!

Got help in the slack channel and realized this was a fundamental misunderstanding of how the exercises are to be done; we were editing existing code in the “hello” exercise in the file under the /lib directory so I expected commented instructions to be there. Sorry!

Hi Rachel,

No worries, I’m glad you were able to get help with your issue and we will work on updating the curriculum with more instructions given on the respective task pages. Let me know if you have any other questions, feedback, or run into an issues progressing through the Alpha Curriculum.

Thanks!

Hello Kevin,

I am having the same problem as well.
Rachel was able to find other exercise files in the SPEC folder.
But I have only found the hello exercise files in both folder. Can you kindly help me going through it when you have time?
Thanks in advance!

Leo

Hey Leo,

Each project has a lib folder and a spec folder. The lib folder contains exercises where you write your code and the spec folder contains test files that test your code when running the bundle exec rspec --color command.

Some exercises in the lib folder will be completely blank so you will have to write the code from scratch to pass the specs. Some of the spec files contain helpful hints to guide you in how to write that code. Reading the specs will also help you figure out what to write. Let me know if this clears anything up or if you would still like to schedule a google hangout.

Thanks!

Hello Kevin,

Thanks for the prompt reply.
When I enter bundle exec spec --color,
I got a return message of 3 examples…0 failures. Would that be a good indication that I have other folders that are hidden?

I am in the 2nd section of Spec and I can’t see any exercise file in my folder.
Since Rachel was able to locate other folders in a slightly different location and I couldn’t locate nothing, it would be great if we can schedule a google hangout.

Thank you for your help!

Leo

Hey Leo,

Passing all the specs would mean it is time to run your git commands and submit your project then move on to the next task. You are done with all of the exercises in this ruby-project so continue through the course and more projects will come up with more exercises such as the rspec-1 project.

Each time you clone a project it is like you are downloading that new project to your local machine into a new folder. Then you must change directories into that folder to work on it. Currently where you are running the bundle exec rspec command is in your copy of the ruby project.

I am available later today if that works for you.

2 Likes

Hello Kevin,

Thanks again for your prompt reply.
I think I got the file successfully download after your going through your explanation. I moved on to next section before actually finished section 2 in RSPEC and was able to find the the downloading parts.
I should be fine for now!

Thank you! Hope you enjoy your weekends!

Leo

Awesome,

Thank you Leo and you have a nice weekend as well. Keep up the great work!