[RESOLVED] Trouble with RSPEC

I’ve looked through other questions that were asked about this topic, but I am still lost. When installing RSPEC, I’ve gotten to the point where I have to type “gem install bundler” in the terminal. I keep getting an error that says “ERROR: While executing gem … (Gem::FilePermissionError)
You don’t have write permissions for the /Library/Ruby/Gems/2.0.0 directory.”

Can someone walk me through what I should do please?

Do you have rbenv installed? You can check whether you do by typing rbenv -v in the terminal. If you get something like rbenv 1.1.1 back, then you have it installed; if you get something like -bash: rbnv: command not found back, then you don’t. If you don’t have it installed: have you installed the App Academy dotfiles as described here?

Thank you for responding! I do have rbenv installed as well as all the other environment setup from the introduction of the Alpha Cirriculum.

Does running rbenv global 2.0.0 in the terminal fix the issue?

Actually, before you try that, can you type atom ~/.bashrc in the terminal and see if the file that opens up in Atom contains the line export PATH="$HOME/.rbenv/bin:$PATH"? If it doesn’t, please add it in, restart the terminal, and see if that fixed the issue.

2 Likes

After adding export PATH="$HOME/.rbenv/bin:$PATH", the gem was successfully installed! Thank you so much!!

Awesome, glad to hear that worked!