Problems with install on High Sierra

I am running on macOS (rip OS X) 10.13.1 and the command:

sudo chown -R "$USER" /usr/local

Does not work as it is my understanding the OS will no longer allow this operation, resulting in:

Operation not permitted

Which can be seen discussed here:

https://github.com/Homebrew/brew/issues/3228

Trying the work around mentioned there (and other places, when the error is googled) of running this command [ I highly suggest you don’t run this command. ]

sudo chown -R $(whoami) $(brew --prefix)/*

Did not allow the installs to complete. However, now the error for ALL sudo commands including the original no longer result in Operation not permitted, but rather:

sudo: /etc/sudoers is owned by uid 501, should be 0
sudo: no valid sudoers sources found, quitting
sudo: unable to initialize policy plugin

And, of course, the installs still don’t work.

Relevant.

https://github.com/kickstarter/laptop/pull/49

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203538

After a lot more wasted time that ended in talking to Apple developer support for an hour, it became clear this completely fucked my install beyond help – I had to reformat and reinstall macOS. Restoring or soft wipes (which I tried first) won’t work, and the usual Disk Utility repair disk permissions is not available for APFS and Apple has no timeline on when they will release it. Manuel GUI permissions modifications via Finder will also not work, nor will chown or diskutil command line methods to fix the permission errors. I understand this is your first incoming class with High Sierra as the current stable release who you will be supporting, and that APFS is brand new to you, however… You need to put a big warning for High Sierra users and change your instructions immediately before this happens to others. This is not a good look for a first impression, nor is the complete lack of response to my queries to AppAcademy staff. I have proceeded without changing the ownership of /usr/local and recommend all 10.13.x users do the same – do not attempt the two work arounds posted about various forums for this issue on High Sierra.

I don’t know enough about the Mac OS to understand what’s going on here…are you recommending that 10.12.6 users should not upgrade to High Sierra? Please advise.

I wouldn’t, if I were you. Just run the old version until you finish with AppAcademy, were only talking about a few months. Let other people (like me) suffer working out all the kinks first :slight_smile:

Hi Andrew,

When we noticed your issue this morning, I passed it along to our staff member responsible for the dotfiles repository. Hopefully we can have this resolved quickly - and if we do figure out a way to help you keep this OS, we’ll let you know.

In the future, it is always a good idea to backup your data before attempting major changes to your system (such as installing a new OS or changing root-level configurations).

For all other users, we strongly recommend not upgrading your OS until a stable, working solution has been found.

Thanks for passing it the appropriate people, hopefully it won’t get anyone else.

I do backup my data; not sure how this would help resolve the issue. As I said, restoring did not work, only a full format and reinstall would remedy the situation. However, if you think AppAcademy students should backup their computers before following your instructions, and that they constitute major changes, then you should add this as step one to your instructions.