MacBook Air not updating

Hey Help Team,

I am trying to download the necessary software in the prep section such as Homebrew. When running, it tells me that they support only the most recent versions of iOS. I tried updating my computer in system preferences and the app store. There’s “no updates available.”

I suspect that the problem is that my computer is from 2011. Am I right on this? Will I have to get another computer? :disappointed:

Thanks for any input!

Hi, @jhoannette! First … welcome to the community! Happy to have you around. :wave:

Second … you’re correct. Your machine is most likely running OS X 10.7 (Lion). Homebrew has a minimum requirement of 10.13 (High Sierra). You have a few options:

1. You’ll have to try and get ahold of a copy of Mac OS X High Sierra installer to install on your 2011 machine.
  2. You can try downloading and installing the latest version of Mac OS X (Catalina) from the App Store. Your 2011 machine may not be able to power this release though.
  3. You could download Virtual Box and run a Linux Virtual Machine to test the waters out.
  4. Last but not least, you could look around for a used 2017ish Mac for an upgrade.

I know those solutions probably aren’t exactly what you were hoping for, but I think those may be your only options.

Best of luck to you! Please let us know if you have any other questions. :four_leaf_clover:

Thanks Bryan! :relaxed: