App Academy

June Cohort SF 2018! I'm Nate

Greetings and congratulations to all folks attending the June cohort in SF! You earned it!

My name is Nate. I was raised in Gettysburg, Pennsylvania. My road to code came about recently and I couldn’t be happier pursuing it with App Academy! Looking forward to meeting and learning with you. :slight_smile:

I have lived in San Francisco for about 10 years.
I’m sure many of you will be journeying to the bay to begin this new phase in your life.

With that said, I’m happy to answer any inquiries regarding SF living!

AMA here or nathanharris.sf@gmail.com

Can’t wait to hear your stories and code together!

Nate

Hi Nate! My name is Jen and I will also be in the June SF Cohort! Nice to meet you!

Do you have any advice about finding short term living options? I will be coming to San Francisco all the way from Charleston, SC along with my boyfriend and our two dogs and we are struggling to find anywhere that does short term leases or will allow lease breaks. Any advice on this?

Can’t wait to get to SF and get coding!

Hello Jen!!

Finding a short term lease can be tough, especially if you have dogs. Most landlords want at least a year and will charge a hefty fee if you break it.

If you’re really looking for something short term, you may want to search for sublets on craigslist, there’s a whole category for it. Folks will often leave for months at a time and need someone to fill the space/pay the rent while they’re away. You’ll be able to skip a formal lease if you go this route and its usually cheaper as well. The challenge is finding the right place with dates that match your needs.

Consider posting in the ‘housing wanted’ or ‘rooms wanted’ section. I’ve scored housing this way in the past. Be descriptive about your needs, who you are, etc. There’s a lot of scammers so don’t get too personal of course! There are more dogs than children here, yet finding housing that allows dogs can be a real pain in the butt. Having owned a dog in the past, I’ve experienced this first hand. You might want to add a photo and bio of your pups if you do post something. Be sure to tick the “dogs ok” option when running searches too.

Sorry if I rambled a bit, but that’s my two cents! Hope this helps. Feel free to reply if you have other questions… neighborhoods, etc…

Nate