App Academy

Issue installing Homebrew

Hello,

I installed homebrew and it said installation was successful but gives me “Next Steps” and asks me to add Homebrew to my PATH. How do I go about adding it? It says to run ‘brew help’ to get started but when i type it into terminal it just says “command not found: brew help”

This is the text: Next steps:

• Add Homebrew to your PATH in /Users/marielvaca/.zprofile:

echo ‘eval “$(/opt/homebrew/bin/brew shellenv)”’ >> /Users/marielvaca/.zprofile

eval “$(/opt/homebrew/bin/brew shellenv)”

• Run brew help to get started

• Further documentation:

Thank you,
Mariel

Hi Mariel,

It looks like your next steps are in the error message:

Run the first command: echo ‘eval “$(/opt/homebrew/bin/brew shellenv)”’ >> /Users/marielvaca/.zprofile

And then when that is complete, try running the second command: eval “$(/opt/homebrew/bin/brew shellenv)”

Let us know if you run into any other issues.
Jesse

Hi Jesse,

Thank you so much for clarifying that. It worked! :slight_smile:
I then entered “brew doctor” and it said my system is now ready to brew.

Have a lovely night,
Mariel

1 Like

I tried this but nothing happened

When I tried the next line it said:
-bash: “export: command not found

![hhhhh|690x73]

Hi Britney,
Your issue is generally solved by entering the two commands under “Next Steps”. Your error messages are a little unusual. I would recommend terminating the processes in your terminal and quitting out of it. When you re-open it, try those two commands again. If you get an error, try brew doctor to see if there are any errors or warnings there that might need to be addressed before running the two “next steps” commands.

If this doesn’t work, post again with screenshots that show the commands you used and the error messages you receive. It would also be helpful to know more about your computer - the year and operating system version you are currently using. If there are any updates available, I would install those before proceeding.

Jesse

How do I “terminate” the processes?
I have just left it there on the computer since I posted this.
So to be clear, once I “terminate the process” and exit: I open the terminal again and start by entering those same two commands /and I do not need to redo the entire Homebrew process?

I have a 2020 MacBook Air M1– it is up to date in terms of software.

jbyers
April 1

Hi Britney,
Your issue is generally solved by entering the two commands under “Next Steps”. Your error messages are a little unusual. I would recommend terminating the processes in your terminal and quitting out of it. When you re-open it, try those two commands again. If you get an error, try brew doctor to see if there are any errors or warnings there that might need to be addressed before running the two “next steps” commands.

If this doesn’t work, post again with screenshots that show the commands you used and the error messages you receive. It would also be helpful to know more about your computer - the year and operating system version you are currently using. If there are any updates available, I would install those before proceeding.

Jesse

Hello to all future applicants who may stumble upon this post! :wave:

If you are here because you are having this issue, but the two commands that are recommended under “Next Steps” are throwing an error, try this.

First, look up in your terminal history and see if you have this message:

The default interactive shell is now zsh.
To update your account to use zsh, please run `chsh -s /bin/zsh`.
For more details, please visit https://support.apple.com/kb/HT208050.

If you see this, then run the command chsh -s /bin/zsh.

After that, go ahead and run the two commands recommended under “Next Steps”. If you are successful, you may not see any message in your terminal. Afterwards, run brew doctor to confirm that you are up and running successfully.

Jesse