App Academy

Integrating Git and command line

Hey guys, I am currently going through my pre-coursework and learning Git from the Git Recipe section. I’m actively trying to use each of the commands in the command line for Git, but I’m not having much luck. I either get a “directory not found” error message or I get a million lines of messages and then it says “fatal” or it did nothing.

Have I downloaded Git incorrectly? Am I supposed to pull up a directory from “ls” and then use Git? How do I get this started correctly? I have been working on this for a few hours each day for 2 days now and I’m lost as to what I’m doing wrong.

Thanks in advance for any help!!

Jennifer

Hi Jennifer,
Don’t worry, I don’t think those messages mean that anything is wrong with your Git installation. The Git Recipes page just shows you syntax examples for using various git commands from the command line. If you type the commands in as-is from the examples, they will throw errors. If you want to use those commands, you would need to replace part of the command with your specific information. So, for example, if you are using git clone, you would need to replace the address portion with the address of the actual repo you are tying to clone.

Think of that lesson as more of a reference to look back to. You do not need to test out all of those commands before moving forward.

Jesse