Installing dotfiles

Hello, I am trying to install the dotfiles and I came across this:
$ git clone https://github.com/appacademy/dotfiles.git .dotfiles

Agreeing to the Xcode/iOS license requires admin privileges, please re-run as root via sudo.

This was after I did:
$ sudo chown -R "$USER" /usr/local

Since I was prompted to root via sudo I did:

$ sudo git clone https://github.com/appacademy/dotfiles.git .dotfiles

This made it work, and I proceeded with:
$ ~/.dotfiles/bin/install_requirements

While installing I did run in to this problem:
There was an error while trying to write to /Users/robertlee/.dotfiles/requirements/Gemfile.lock. It is likely that you need to grant write permissions for that path.

I also tried to restart my computer and rerun the commands and came across:
ERROR: While executing gem ... (Gem::FilePermissionError) You don't have write permissions for the /Library/Ruby/Gems/2.0.0 directory. /Users/robertlee/.dotfiles/bin/install_requirements: line 101: bundle: command not found

What should I do so that I may have my machine set up to start the Alpha Curriculum?

Try this out!

Thanks for the reply Michael. I seem to be lost in the explanations in the thread you provided. I went through the stack overflow posts as well and I just don’t seem to get it to work.

By the way, I did try running ~/.dotfiles/bin/install_requirements again and this came up during the ruby installation:
There was an error while trying to write to '/Users/robertlee/.dotfiles/requirements/Gemfile.lock'. It is likely that you need to grant write permissions for that path.

Is there anything else I should try?

I also ran sudo chown -R "$USER" ~/.rbenv as mentioned in the troubleshooting section for installing dotfiles. Then I reran ~/.dotfiles/bin/install_requirements. Still having the same problem.

No worries! There are a ton there.

This command:
echo ‘export PATH="$HOME/.rbenv/bin:$HOME/.rbenv/shims:$PATH"’ >> ~/.bash_profile

and this command:
echo ‘eval “$(rbenv init -)”’ >> ~/.bash_profile

may do the trick. They will drop the rbenv path and init into your bash_profile. This tells your terminal which ruby version to use through rbenv, which will also grant you write permissions for that path/version.

Tried your suggestion and still running in to the same problem when I run $ ~/.dotfiles/bin/install_requirements

Does it matter if I’ve previously installed dotfiles when I was trying to take a coursera course? I don’t know what I was doing but I vaguely remember installing hidden dotfiles as well as a bash profile.

Another note (I’m not sure if this is relevant), I did also try to run ~/.dotfiles/bin/install_dotfiles and got:

/Users/robertlee/.dotfiles/bin/.install_dotfiles.rb:74:in `write': Permission denied @ rb_sysopen - /Users/robertlee/.dotfiles/dot/atom/.diff_config.cson (Errno::EACCES)
	from /Users/robertlee/.dotfiles/bin/.install_dotfiles.rb:74:in `compile_diff'
	from /Users/robertlee/.dotfiles/bin/.install_dotfiles.rb:47:in `diff'
	from /Users/robertlee/.dotfiles/bin/.install_dotfiles.rb:51:in `changed?'
	from /Users/robertlee/.dotfiles/bin/.install_dotfiles.rb:121:in `select'
	from /Users/robertlee/.dotfiles/bin/.install_dotfiles.rb:121:in `main'
	from /Users/robertlee/.dotfiles/bin/.install_dotfiles.rb:161:in `<main>'

I’m having the same issues as above:

You don’t have write permissions for the /Library/Ruby/Gems/2.0.0 directory.

The two rbenv commands didn’t work either, and now I can’t download Rails for the same reason. I’ve been following the steps in this answer to a similar problem, but after calling

which ruby

it says

/usr/bin/ruby

And I can’t get the

.rbenv/shims

on my path before any directory where it would look for Ruby …

Then trying rbenv install 2.2.3 I get

rbenv: no such command `install’

It seems like a lot of people have been having problems with this… Does anybody from a/A know the best solution to this? I’d hate to get to class in two weeks and still be dealing with this.

Thanks

After a lot of trial and error it looks like I got it fixed! In case anyone else is also going through this headache, I believe what did it was fully un-installing rbenv, and deleting all rbenv lines in my bash folder, then re-installing per the rbenv directions on github.

Then run the two commands above, and be sure to exit out of your terminal and open it back up before giving it a try.