Installing configuration files: No such file or directory

I’m in middle of ‘Environment Setup’ and up to the stage of “Install the configuration files”

This is how it’s appearing in the terminal:

Mendels-MBP:~ mkonikov$ ~/.dotfiles/bin/install_dotfiles
(erb):21:in ``': No such file or directory - npm (Errno::ENOENT)
	from (erb):21:in `text'
	from /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.0/usr/lib/ruby/2.0.0/erb.rb:849:in `eval'
	from /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.0/usr/lib/ruby/2.0.0/erb.rb:849:in `result'
	from /Users/mkonikov/.dotfiles/bin/.install_dotfiles.rb:43:in `text'
	from /Users/mkonikov/.dotfiles/bin/.install_dotfiles.rb:74:in `compile_diff'
	from /Users/mkonikov/.dotfiles/bin/.install_dotfiles.rb:47:in `diff'
	from /Users/mkonikov/.dotfiles/bin/.install_dotfiles.rb:51:in `changed?'
	from /Users/mkonikov/.dotfiles/bin/.install_dotfiles.rb:121:in `select'
	from /Users/mkonikov/.dotfiles/bin/.install_dotfiles.rb:121:in `main'
	from /Users/mkonikov/.dotfiles/bin/.install_dotfiles.rb:161:in `<main>'`

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Hi Mendel,

Make sure you have the bashrc and bash_profile files setup correctly as mentioned in this question. If this doesn’t work out the issue and you still have ruby commands running correctly then I recommend that we save it for when you arrive at App Academy.

npm stands for node package manager and is used to install necessary javascript packages. Since the alpha course does not require any javascript, you should be fine continuing through the projects without npm. Let me know if you are unable to work on projects in the alpha course though and I will help you resolve any issues.

Thanks!

So I reviewed the bashrc file installed on my computer in /Users/mkonikov/.dotfiles/dot and it seems to match up exactly with what’s posted on Github. The bash_profile seems to just redirect to bashrc.

Not sure what the issue is - though as pretty much a total newbie that’s not surprising.

So I’m trying to forge ahead and getting stuck at the next step. In Git Workflow I was able to complete the first step and fork but stuck at bundle install. Please see below.

Mendels-MBP:~ mkonikov$ cd ~/1f071cf2-mkonikov-ruby-project
Mendels-MBP:1f071cf2-mkonikov-ruby-project mkonikov$ bundle install
-bash: bundle: command not found
Mendels-MBP:1f071cf2-mkonikov-ruby-project mkonikov$ bundle exec rspec --color
-bash: bundle: command not found

Again, all your help is much appreciated!

You are very welcome Mendel and remember that every developer was a newbie at first!

What happens if you run the command: gem install bundler? If successful, this should install the bundler gem giving you the bundle command. If you get an error, please post it here and let me know a time when we could do a quick Google Hangout to resolve your Ruby setup issues.

Thanks.

This is what happens:

Mendels-MBP:~ mkonikov$ gem install bundler
ERROR:  While executing gem ... (Gem::FilePermissionError)
    You don't have write permissions for the /Library/Ruby/Gems/2.0.0 directory.
Mendels-MBP:~ mkonikov$ 

Re a good time for hangout, Evenings and Mornings are good for me.

Thank you!

Hi there, I’m getting the same error as mendel as well. Do you know how I might resolve this issue?

Thank you!

I was able to install the bundle!

Thanks

Hi Lora! May I ask how you were able to figure it out? I’m getting the same errors. Thanks !

I simply went back and setup my environment again. So in the “Environment Setup” portion of the Alpha course, I re-ran everything in the “Using the Dotfiles repo.” section, and that seemed to do the trick. Let me know if that works!