App Academy

HTML/CSS Assessment pet_name

Hey there.
So I’ve triple checked my work and still can’t seem to pinpoint the error. A little guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Learning Challenge

-has exactly one input with a name of ‘pet_name’ and an associated label with the content ‘Name’
(this is my only error)

Question

I’m puzzled because according to the prep-work and from what I’ve gathered from MDN, the code I wrote should work, though clearly I’ve done something wrong that I’m missing.

What I’ve tried

I initially wrote “pet-name” which I then changed to “pet_name” thinking the issue was something super minor that I don’t believe would even have an impact on how the code renders. Considering that wasn’t the issue, now I’m a bit lost.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Screenshots

<div>
    <label for="name">Name</label>
    <input type="text" id="name" name="pet_name">
</div>

<div>
    <label for="type">Pet Type</label>
    <select id="type" name="pet_type">
        <option value="cat">Cat</option>
        <option value="dog">Dog</option>
        <option value="hamster">Hamster</option>
        <option value="zebra">Zebra</option>
        <option value="other">Other</option>
    </select>
</div>

<div>
    <label for="bio">Bio</label>
    <textarea id="bio" name="pet_bio"></textarea>
</div>

<div>
    <label for="email">Email</label>
    <input type="email" id="owner-email" name="pet_owner_email">
</div>

<div>
    <button id="new-pet-submit-button" type="submit">Create new pet</button>
</div>

<div>
    <button type="reset">Reset</button>
</div>

Hi, @waysawey. :wave: First off, welcome to the community. Glad to have you here.

On to the helpful stuff … I downloaded your submission and took a peek. Unfortunately, the value that you have in your submission is different than the value you have posted here. Here is what we see in the submission

There are a couple common reasons we tend to see this …

1. People have forgotten to save their changes before zipping up the new submission.
  2. People may have submitted the “old” zip file mistakenly

This definitely is the issue. And while you’re correct that it would not have an impact on how the code renders. It does have an impact on how the computer grades. This is why we try to be super clear in our assessments about what the fields should be. The computer is looking for very specific fields and names.

My advice would be to double and triple check that you saved your work. And also that you have zipped up your work correctly. Unzip the zip in a different folder and do a spot check to ensure that your index.html has the updated values you’re expecting.

When you’re uploading the zip file, be sure that you’re selecting the right zip file. All these little things add up and sometimes as a developer we have to be super diligent about these things. These sort of errors happen all the time.

I hope that helps you out! Please let us know if you have any more questions. Best of luck in your next attempt! :four_leaf_clover:

2 Likes

I would suggest going back to the instructions on the assessment page, and double check the instructions for this step. I missed this exact one as well, and the wording on the assessment page and the wording you receive in the response email have subtle differences. Hope that helps.

1 Like

Hey @bryanray! Would you mind checking my code as well? I have triple checked everything including the zip file I submitted. Here’s my code for reference:

<label for="Name">Name</label>
    <input type="text" name="pet_name" id="Name">

@bryanray Is it because the N in Name is capitalized? I checked on discord and this didn’t seem to be an issue. My login email for App Academy is will@quotatracker.com.

Thanks in advance.

• Will

@bryanray Or it could be that POST is capitalized? This was how VSCode auto-formatted it. K. Will lay off the multiple replies.