Hi, I'm Mike - July cohort SF

Hi everyone,

I’m Mike Brinkman. I am a Bay Area native, and very excited to enter this industry! I graduated from the University of Oregon in 2014 with a bachelors in Economics, and proceeded to work in data analytics for a SF advertising agency for almost two years. I learned some programming on the job, and decided to switch to it full time - so a few online courses and an application later - here I am!

I’m particularly interested in the gaming and security fields. I play the Magic the Gathering card game semi-competitively in my free time, I will be at a 3000 person tournament in Las Vegas mid June.

Look forward to seeing you all in July!

2 Likes

Hey Mike, good luck on your tournament.

Security is such an existing field, right?

I look forward to meeting you.

• Alfaro

Hey Mike. I’m so jealous that you’re going to GP Vegas. I went in 2013 and 2015, just missed day 2 in 2013 and placed 175 in 2015 in the one of the flights of 3500ish that year. Will you be playing sealed or constructed? I have had to put MTG on the back burner as of late while finishing my Bachelor’s degree and I imagine there will be even less time for it come July 31st but I truly love the game.

Wow, 175 - that’s impressive! What format?

I played all three events, was definitely out of my league in Legacy (BG Depths) and Sealed, did okay in Modern (GW Tron). For my first GP i’m okay with that.

Congrats on your first GP (or first 3 GPs from the sound of it). The GP
Vegas in 2013 was modern Masters sealed and 2015 was modern Masters 2015
sealed (or whatever it was called). Those sets were built from cards which
spanned the time I’ve been playing so I was very familiar with them, plus I
really put effort into preparing in 2015 buying multiple boxes for
practice. I rarely play constructed events IRL as I have been almost
exclusively a MTGO player for the last 10 years or so. I look forward to
meeting a fellow Planeswalker, don’t run into many where I live as the
nearest shop is about 30 mins away.