App Academy

Hi everyone, I'm Josh - March 2019 Cohort SF

Hi everyone, my name is Josh and I’ll be attending the March 2019 a/A cohort in San Francisco.

Currently I’m a television producer living in Los Angeles, but the wife and I will be making the big move to San Francisco in February and we couldn’t be more excited. In college, I earned my BFA in film & media production with three concentrations: Screenwriting, graphic design, and visual effects. So if anyone needs the sorcery of a Photoshop wizard while we’re going through the program, I’m most definitely your guy.

Like many of the people here (I hope), I’m a career changer, and fell in love with coding about five years after graduating from my alma mater. My dream is to become a front-end web developer, and hopefully bridge the gap into full-stack and UX design further down the road.

I’m also a MASSIVE movie geek, love to play basketball, and moonlight doing improv comedy (terribly, I should add) on the weekends. Looking forward to meeting you all and going through the gauntlet together.

Best,

Josh

1 Like

Hey Josh!

I will also be attending the March 2019 cohort here in SF. Looking forward to having you up here in The Bay! Wishing you a painless move-in.

Cheers,
kevin

1 Like

Thanks for the shout Kevin and great to meet you! Looking forward to working together.

And if you get into the weeds of Alpha Course and need a second brain to help steer the ship, I’m always happy to connect. My direct is joshua.a.weisman@gmail.com.

Best of luck in the meantime and see you in The Bay.

Cheers,

Josh

Cool, thanks for that! I am currently on Enumerables RSPEC Practice 2 problem set, but I haven’t done any work on it in about 3 weeks while I took some time for the holidays. We should definitely sync up though, I am already finding procs to be fairly confusing lol, although I think I am finally beginning to crack the “code”, so to speak.

Best of luck as well, and looking forward to working with you in March! (=

Cheers,
kevin

Oh sweet, looks like I’m trailing you by about 3 sections (just finished Logic and started into Control Flow). I’m doing my best to move fast in anticipation of the more time-consuming later sections, so depending on your pace I can probably get synced up with you in a few days. Definitely feel free to hit me up anytime.

Cheers,

Josh

Very cool, sounds like you are moving along quite quickly! Hope you’re enjoying the journey. I am still in a bit of an involuntary stasis, but will be putting in some major hours this weekend. I am sure that you’ve left me in the dust by now lol.

Cheers,
Kevin

Happy studying to you as well! Also FYI in case the message hasn’t made it to you yet – just today we’ve been notified that we should stop working on the Alpha Course and switch over to a new, updated course called Software Engineering Foundations. Here’s the link if you need it:

https://www.aaonline.io/full-stack-in-person-software-engineering-foundations/1.0/welcome

And the message we received about it on the group slack channel:

Hello everyone! I just wanted to update you on some important changes. We are deprecating the Alpha Course after this incoming January cohort so all future cohorts are required to complete our new Software Engineering Foundations Course.

The Foundations Course (https://www.aaonline.io/full-stack-in-person-software-engineering-foundations/1.0/welcome) is a 4-week online preparatory program that covers all of the concepts that you’ll need to know before the start of the in-person portion of the course. When accessing the Foundations Course on our learning platform, please make sure you have the correct course selected. You can verify this by clicking “Course Outline” in the top left corner. The current course displayed should read “Software Engineering Foundations”. You can use the “switch” button to select the correct course.

“Software Engineering Foundations” replaces the previous “Alpha Curriculum.” You should stop working through Alpha and work through Foundations from the beginning of the course. As part of our continued effort to improve the course experience, we have overhauled the course with brand new and improved content in Foundations.

Feel free to hit me up if you need any further clarification, happy to share whatever I know.

Cheers,

Josh

Oh thanks for calling that out! Guess I am a lot further behind than I thought lol. I will be sure to reach out if/when I hit a snag! Good luck, and have fun on these.

All the best,
kevin