Hey, I'm Jonathan

Hi everyone, my name is Jonathan, and I was accepted into the cohort starting July 3rd in NYC. I grew up in Minnesota and graduated with a bachelor’s degree in economics in 2015 and worked on a few different short term contract positions while trying to discover what I wanted to pursue. I have always had an interest in computers and technology (built a desktop in high school and picked up bits of programming here and there because my parents both have physics and engineering backgrounds), but I never seriously considered studying it until I talked to some of my friends who are already work in the technology sector about what I might want to do with my career. They mostly ended up suggested looking into something called App Academy, and now here I am!

An interesting fact about me is that I ballroom dance competitively! My partner and I recently placed 16th at the most recent national competition. For those curious as to what ballroom competitions look like, this is a video of us dancing the tango semifinal: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zru9vKwtdr0 (note that it is decidedly not anything like Dancing with the Stars)

In the near future, I plan to simply further hone my soon-to-be-acquired coding skills at whatever company I end up working at, but in the long term, I would love to be able to use my abilities to contribute to causes that are close to me (education and renewable energy/the environment).

I am excited to meet everyone in July!