Help with ubuntu/windows file navigation

Hi there,
I’m starting the prep-work for the academy and am having some difficulty with the file navigation in Ubuntu.
When I make a directory “prep-work” (mkdir prep-work) and try to open up in file explorer (explorer.exe) as suggested in the introductory videos, the newly made directory doesnt show up in the file explorer window.
With the ls command I can see that the prep-work directory is made but I cannot seem to locate where this actually is on my computer.

any guidance on this is greatly appreciated :slight_smile:
~Jason

UPDATE: since posting I tried to start the HTML section. Been following along the video with the new tag-exercise directory in ubuntu, and opening up the folder in code to make the new file tags.html and received this prompt
Unable to write file ‘vscode-remote://wsl+ubuntu-20.04/tag-exercise/tags.html’ (NoPermissions (FileSystemError): Error: EACCES: permission denied, open ‘/tag-exercise/tags.html’)

Maybe there is a permissions issue involving my file navigation? Does anybody know how to check these?

Thanks again in advance, Y’all
~Jason

Hi, @dunnjm814! Welcome to the community! :wave:

My recommendation for you would be to simply stay in native Windows. You can use the PowerShell Terminal to do your assessments. Opening up PowerShell you should be able to simply go to the directory that you unzipped the assessment skeleton by doing cd ~/Downloads/html-css-assessment or cd ~/Documents/html-css-assessment … or where ever you put that directory in your Windows filesystem.

When you’re using the Ubuntu Terminal you just have to deal with this added overhead that “I’m on the Linux files system.” If you stick with Windows PowerShell or Windows Terminal you’re just “always in Windows” and can avoid a lot of unnecessary confusion.

If you’re going to take this “stay in windows recommendation” and give it a try … I would recommend that you install “Git for Windows”. And when you come to a screen that looks like this:

… you should choose the third option that says something like, “Run Git and included Unix tools from the Windows Command Prompt”. This will give you access to (most of) the unix tools that you need directly on Windows.

Hopefully that wasn’t too much to digest and I haven’t added any extra confusion.

If you are still determined to use the Windows Subsystem for Linux, please let me know and I will do my best to continue helping you through that process.

hi, @bryanray!
thanks for your reply I appreciate the guidance.
Is there any reading you would recommend on setting up the powershell to work with visual code?
also Im assuming the commands in powershell would have slightly different syntax from what ive been learning in ubuntu thus far.
I’ll definitely go through with the powershell route for now but if you have any knowledge on how to go through with the linux route Id like to try that out as well. Im guessing that most of the actual course involves this so it would be nice to be on the same page as everyone else while Im learning.

thank you again for your response,
~Jason

Update: I tried to install the powershell extension for visual code and in visual code i received this message
Unable to find PowerShell. Do you have PowerShell installed? You can also configure custom PowerShell installations with the ‘powershell.powerShellAdditionalExePaths’ setting.
Also in visual code the extension wasnt enabled until I installed with ubuntu. when I hover my mouse over the powershell extension in visual code it reads “Extension is enabled in WSL.ubuntu-20.04 and disabled locally.”

The only integration that you would need to add is adding the ability to open Visual Studio Code from a PowerShell terminal by typing code .

If you install the Git for Windows and choose the option that I mentioned above, I’m fairly certain, that should cover 90% of the commands that you’ll need. If not, 100%.

A lot of our courses does focus on Mac and Linux environments. Yes. We are working to remedy that and provide better native Windows support as well. It will be a while for that though.

Depending on what version of Windows you’re running, you may need to install Powershell.

I’m not sure which extension you’re referring to here?

Hi again!
since my last log in Ive managed to figure a lot of it out and gotten some work done on the html/css prep already! I really appreciate your help. There is a powershell extension for visual code that Ive found that seems to allow a lot of the commands Ive learned in the ubuntu command line tutorials to work in powershell, which is really cool and useful I think.

thanks again! Looking forward to putting in the work.