Help on translating Git diffs (possible merge conflict issue)

Hi everyone!

I just submitted my first Git assessment yesterday and unfortunately I received a 2/4 with the following feedback:

Admittedly I’m not too familiar with what this diff is telling me. I tried making sense of it but as far as I can tell, I have more than a few extra lines compared to the solution’s requirements.

I may be completely wrong here, but I believe the only times I felt I ran into some slight hiccups were the merge conflicts. I’m not sure if that is what the diff might be referring to but I remember I had (perhaps unwisely) accepted both changes and then manually changed the order of the images on VS Code and then deleted the necessary image in the assessment’s instructions manually using ubuntu before adding and commiting my changes.

I’m not sure if that’s where I’m diverging from the correct answer but if so, can someone lend some guidance on any better ways of resolving merge conflicts? I just want to make sure I’m fully prepped for my next attempt.

EDIT Oh and for anyone currently going through this assessment, make sure to disable any auto formatting/format on save preferences on your editor before starting!

Thanks!

Hi!
You’re right, these diffs can be difficult to interpret, but I think you’re also on the right track in figuring out the source of the issue and how to solve it.

The carats and equals signs are a good clue that is caused by a merge conflict that wasn’t fully resolved. If you open your file now and look at those two branches, you will likely see those symbols still in there. At this point, you can manually correct both branches by deleting the carats and equals signs, and making sure the images match the screenshots in the assessment prompt. Make sure you do this in each branch, and save and commit the changes to the correct branches. I would then do a final check that all 4 branches still match the specification screenshots.
After that, you should be all set to re-submit.
Jesse

1 Like

Hi and thank you again for the fast reply! I’ll get started on this right away!

1 Like