Hello, My name is Hein (NYC July cohort)

Hello,

My full name is Hein Htet Pyi Soe but most give me a misty-eyed look when they see that written out, so Hein is fine.

I grew up in Myanmar (Burma) and moved to the US in 2006. I’ve lived on both coasts as I received a BA in International Relations in Southern Cali. I moved to NYC in 2010 and ended up working at Chipotle after months of failed job searches. Despite getting a stable job later, I recklessly chose to leave it in 2012 to pursue a career as an indie game developer. I taught myself C# and partnered with an old friend who did pixel art to begin our venture. Needless to say, it did not go well and I ended up having to start from scratch again. Now, I’m looking to re-activate those old skills and learn coding for real this time.

My interest in coding and development stems from my lifelong relationship with video games, not just playing them but being interested in how they work, how they are developed and what’s happening in the industry. Some influential games throughout my life: Final Fantasy series, Baldur’s Gate Series, Counterstrike, Warcraft series, Dota, League of Legends.

Besides that stuff, I have a background in International Relations so I tend to follow global affairs even though I’ve found them increasingly tiresome as I grow older. I also enjoy playing guitar and singing but usually only when no one is watching.

I tend to be quite introverted but I’m trying to be more sociable so if you want to talk about any of the things I mentioned, or really anything else, come and talk to me even if you see a “don’t talk to me” look on my face.