Git Confusion .gitignore?

Hello, I just failed my second assessment. I am very confused as to what’s going on with .gitignore. Please help!
I understand everything else in this assessment and followed through to the very end. I just don’t understand where .gitignore falls into place with all of this. Aside from the initial import, every time I “git add .” in a new branch and check “git status” before doing a “git commit” I never see .gitignore or .DS_Store as a change to be commited. I’ve also noticed that the red icon in the screenshot given doesn’t match my icon (example below). Just racking my brain on what could be wrong.
I’m also aware that I had the s in DS lowercase.
Screen Shot 2020-11-05 at 6.23.01 PM

These are the problems I missed:

’drawings’ branch

--- a/.gitignore+++ b/.gitignore@@ -1 +1 @@-.DS_Store+.Ds_Store

’pictures’ branch

’together’ branch

Hi Kris,
You are exactly right in noticing that lowercase s - that is the root of the problems and you will need to correct that across all of your branches. Let us know what your git status looks like after fixing that typo.
Jesse

Hi @jbyers, Thank you so much for getting back to me and thanks for your help! I can’t believe I didn’t catch that.
I just started brand new and this is my git status just before a commit on the drawings branch. I still don’t see .gitignore? What am I missing?

Woah, so I’m just now realizing, that when I type a second line of .DS_Store in the drawings and pictures branches and then git add . the .gitignore file finally shows up, but only if I add that second line. Am I on the right path here?

No, you definitely don’t want it twice! Just make sure it matches the images in the directions for all of your branches, and you should be good to go!

Thanks @jbyers,
So the first picture I posted of my git status looks correct even when it’s not showing the .gitignore file?
vs. the second picture that is showing the .gitignore file?
The only way .gitignore was showing up in my git status’ was when I would modify .DS_Store.