App Academy

Git assessment Start 5/14

Good morning!

Just a couple quick questions about getting into the Git assessment and during. These are probably dumb, so forgive me I just want to make sure that everything is done right. I am on MacOS for reference.

So, to start I go ahead and download the .zip file and unzip it. Opening terminal, I use the command “~/Downloads/git-repo-management” as the instructions lay out. Issue being, it then says that accessing it has been denied. I have gotten around this by using the cd command for the terminal; once for downloads, then again for repo. From there, I do code . and code studio opens like normal with the code and then I can git init from there and get to work. This does not seem right though, and I cannot figure out exactly why “~/Downloads…” is not initializing. Any thoughts? (I would post screenshots, but I am currently on my tablet away from my Mac, so I don’t have access. Will post later)

Second comes to the “Move the pictures” section for the assessment. What I am doing is simply dragging and dropping the .jpg’s into the new folders. This, naturally, in git status, says there are changes to the file and to rename the .jpg’s using git rm images/drawings… and I feel there is a better way to do this. Or does that bit even matter?

Finally, coming to the git log, does anyone know if the assessment looks at great detail at the amount of git commits/add/rms/checkouts, or does it only really care about the branches themselves?

Sorry for all the possibly dumb questions, I am still just a bit new to terminal (and MacOS for that matter). But I would rather ask dumb questions and be sure than assume and be wrong.

Thank you thank you!

Hi Max,
I can try to answer your questions one by one. Some of these are tough to answer without seeing the screenshots, but I will do my best to share possible ideas.

This does not seem right though, and I cannot figure out exactly why “~/Downloads…” is not initializing. Any thoughts?

For this - did you use cd in front of the downloads command? It is not written explicitly in the command in the directions, but you need to cd into the path in the directions. It is also fine to use your workaround of cd-ing into each directory individually until you get to the right level.

What I am doing is simply dragging and dropping the .jpg’s into the new folders.

For moving the images, I would recommend reviewing the shell commands lesson and using commands in the terminal to move and rename those images as described in the directions.

Finally, coming to the git log, does anyone know if the assessment looks at great detail at the amount of git commits/add/rms/checkouts, or does it only really care about the branches themselves?

This is a great question. Here’s how the auto-grader works: It will look at the final product of each of your branches to see if it matches the expected output. So, if you added an extra commit here or there that does not change the final product in the files, you will be fine. But if you have extra commits or use git commands that would change the contents of files in each branch so they don’t match the expected output, then you would fail some tests.

Let me know if this raises any questions!
Jesse