Git assessment.. problem with git.ignore

this is the first part of the assessment
Create a file named “.gitignore” in the git-repo-management directory. Using Visual Studio Code, type .DS_Store in the “.gitignore” file. Save it. Make sure Visual Studio Code added a new line so that there are two lines in it. The file should look like the following screenshot. Close it.

I failed with this error code.

The questions you missed were:

’drawings’ branch

--- /dev/null+++ b/.vscode/settings.json@@ -0,0 +1,3 @@+{+  "git.ignoreLimitWarning": true+}\ No newline at end of file

‘master’ branch

--- /dev/null+++ b/.vscode/settings.json@@ -0,0 +1,3 @@+{+  "git.ignoreLimitWarning": true+}\ No newline at end of file

’pictures’ branch

’together’ branch

I'm confused as to what this is. I'm assuming I didn't do the first step properly but any advice would be appreciated. Thank you,**

Hi Chris,
I was able to look at your submission, and your site.html file looks great across all branches. You are exactly right that the issue has to do with the .gitignore file.

When I open your submission, I can see that the .gitignore file is missing across all branches. Is there a possibility that you created the file outside of the git-repo-management directory, or did not include it when you staged and committed the changes?

Double check your file structure in VSCode Explorer - you will want to make sure the .gitignore file is inside the git-repo-management directory, in the position below across all branches before you stage, re-commit and re-submit:
git

Let us know how this goes!
Jesse

this is how it looks now. The gitignore was untracked. I updated it but should I start all over ? or any advise? thank you!

It looks like you have it in the right spot now. You don’t have to re-do everything, but make sure you re-do the steps for the .gitignore file, and make sure it is showing up properly, with the contents, in all of your branches.

I would also recommend taking a close look at each branch after doing your final commits and making sure everything is still where you need it to be, before you submit!
Jesse

thank you for the advise. much appreciated!. I know what happened. I created a directory for gitignore instead of a file. I re-did the whole assignment. now the gitignore is showing up in all branches.

1 Like