Git assessment (merge drawings to together branch) error

I am at the directions point “Merge the “drawings” branch to the “together” branch”

I am confused as I have followed all of the assessment instructions up to this point without issue, ( I am able to merge the pictures branch to together branch) but I receive an error when I attempt to do so with the drawings branch.

[error: Your local changes to the following files would be overwritten by merge:
site.html
Please commit your changes or stash them before you merge.

Aborting]

If I could get some clarity if I have missed a step, the command I should use to fix this before attempting to merge again and or on the error I have made I would greatly appreciate it.

Hi, @amberjolie! First off, welcome to the community! Nice to have you here. :wave:

It looks like you may have missed a git commit somewhere?

You should be able type in git status and take a look at what git knows about your files. You should also be able to do a git diff to show you any changes that exist in your current file.

Would you be able to take a screenshot of those two commands so that we can try to guide you in the right direction?

Bryanray,

Thank you for the welcome and thank you for helping me!

please see screenshot below:

Screen Shot 2020-07-30 at 9.24.32 AM

Happy to help! :hugs:

So it looks like in that screenshot you’re on the together branch … remember that in the together branch the assessment asks you to ensure that your img tags look like this:

What you’ll want to do next is:

1. Go to the assessment and find the section screen shotted above.
  2. Ensure that your site.html content looks exactly like what the assessment describes.
  3. Ensure that the file structure looks like the assessment describes.
  4. Add your site.html into Git
  5. Commit your site.html into Git
  6. Continue on to the next thing the assessment asks and repeat.
  7. Profit!

Hopefully that helps! Let us know if you have any more questions! Or if I only added more confusion!

Bryanray,

After reviewing your instructions and my file. My current status is in the screenshot below

which matches the instructions leading up to before the point “Commit all of these changes to the “pictures” branch.” I believe this is the commit I am missing . Because I have attempted to complete the steps out of order. Should I (A.) start over clean slate or (B.) commit the changes to the pictures branch (which is where I think I am confused on how to properly do) and then checkout master and proceed forward (keeping in mind I have attempted to merge the pictures branch already) ?

Thank you again for the help much appreciated!

This is a super tough choice for you. I know. My recommendation would be to just start fresh and walk through it again. Retain all the knowledge you learned from the first attempt and give it another go.

If it’s any comfort … I’ve been doing this coding thing a long time and to this day, I still write a chunk of code, don’t quite understand it, throw it away, and start again. Personally, I love that process, but some people don’t; which is completely understandable.

That being said, it is possible that what you have is recoverable. But unfortunately, We won’t have enough context in to what you’ve currently got to help guide you if you take this approach. :sob:

Let us know what you decide and we’ll be happy to help out as much as we can as you move forward. :pray:

Bryanray,

I think you are totally right I will learn so much more in starting over.

Two questions:

1. correct way in creating clean slate (removing invisible file)

2. I am just wanting to make sure I under how to commit to a specific branch i.e: “commit the changes to the pictures branch” ( I feel as if this was my hang up on this first go and may not have used the correct command , if you could clarify that for me)

Thank you for your guidance

The easiest way is probably just renaming your existing git-repo-management directory to something else like git-repo-management-attempt-1. Then you would re-download the zip skeleton, extract it, and start fresh.

In git … a “commit” is a two step process. Let me try to make an analogy real quick …

Imagine you wanted to make a deposit into a bank. To prepare, you walk around the house and add in all the cash you can find into an envelope. You then hop in your car and head to the bank. You then realize that you have some more cash in your center console and you add that cash into your envelope as well. You then walk into the bank and hand your envelope to the teller who then commit’s your transaction. At that point you have “made your commit(ment).”

This is pretty much what happens in git. You do some work (change the content of your files, add new files, etc). You then git add those files into what git refers to as a “staging” area (your envelope). You can then go make some more changes, if you want, and decide to git add those changes into the “staging” area. After that you need to git commit your staged changes.

The important thing to remember is that in order to make a commit. You have to add things into your envelope (staging). And then hand the envelope to the teller (git) to “commit” your transaction.

For the purposes of this assessment, whenever your see something that says, “commit your changes” … that pretty much translates to this:

# Notice the "." at the end. That is telling git "add anything I changed to staging (my envelope)"
git add .

# Commit my transaction (Hand it to the teller/git)
# The -m is short for --message (The commit message)
git commit -m "Describe the changes you made"

There are some details and shortcuts that I’m hand-waving over, but hopefully that helps you out!

Please let us know if you have any other questions! Happy to help out!