App Academy

Git Assessment Help - Feedback

Didn’t pass the git assessment and this is what I got back:

Can anyone tell me what I did wrong?

Hi Natalie,
It looks like everything was correct except your images in the master and together branch. This was probably caused by an issue during your merge.

There are two approaches to fixing this:

1. You could download a new copy of the assessment and re-start. This is a good option if you feel like you need more practice with Git.

2. You could go into your current project, and just make changes to fix the two branches. If you take this route, you’ll need to look at the screenshots in the directions to see what order / how many images should be in each branch. Then, you can manually move the images around (and add or delete if needed) in your file for that branch, then save and commit to the correct branch.

With either approach, I do recommend saving and committing everything, closing out of VSCode completely, and then re-opening your project and looking at each branch for a final check before re-submitting!

Let us know how it goes!
Jesse

Thanks Jesse! I am a little confused since all of the photos were in the right spot (folders and such) when I double-checked. Do you think I could have received an error because of the place that my photos are in? It looks like they were in a different order on the site.html compared to the example in the assessment. Just want to figure out how I can double-check my work next time as this is my last try.

Hi Natalie,

Yes, it is likely that your images were in the right places in the directories, but were arranged in the wrong order at the bottom of the site.html file. So I would recommend checking out each branch, one at a time, and manually rearranging those images until your file matches the screenshot for that branch, and then saving and committing. Repeat for each branch.

Let us know if you have any more questions!
Jesse

Sorry for all the questions!! I am working on a whole new file and I may have found my problem… I created a branch “drawings” but the subdirectory “drawings” in this branch was copied over to the master. See code below. I don’t know why it would do that…I saved it to the branch “drawings”

Hi Natalie,
In looking at your screenshot, it looks like you have completed a lot of the steps. I can see where you created the drawings branch and made the drawings directory within the images directory in that branch. Then you checked out master branch.

However, you skipped a key step in between making the drawings directory and checking out.

The directions say:

Commit all of these changes to the "drawings" branch.

Check out the "master" branch. 

I don’t see your commands for staging and committing the changes to the drawings branch before you check out master.

Jesse

Hi, I have a question about an error to my git code.