App Academy

General Question about Program and HTML/CSS Assessment

Hi everyone,

I am currently completing the CSS/HTML Assessments. I am having some slight difficultly understanding some of the CSS terminology and requirements. Once I pass the assessments and begin the program ( because I believe in myself :innocent: ) will my instructor revisit/re-educate me on the information covered in the assessments in more detail? Will our CSS courses start off based on the information already learned in the Assessment/Technical portion?

Any information provided would really help my over-thinking tendencies.

Hi Kiley, and welcome to the community!

This is a great question! The HTML/CSS assessment is designed to assess how well you can understand the material in the prepwork lessons as well as do some additional exploration of resources to meet the specifications. We don’t expect you to be an expert on HTML and CSS at the end of the prepwork by any means!

The 24-week course will start with a focus on JavaScript fundamentals and Object-Oriented programming, and then you will start to re-focus on HTML and CSS after that. You will definitely have instructor support and will revisit the concepts in the prepwork.

In the meantime, I encourage you to use this community to get support in any areas you might be struggling with or unsure of while you work through the prepwork.

You’ve got this!
Jesse

1 Like

I appreciate the words of encouragement and the information.

I am kind of stuck with the Title text placement of my project. I noticed that in the example photo( for this assignment), the Title and secondary text are to the right of the avatar photo. I haven’t figure out how to get the text to align to the right of the card.I am hoping someone will be able to clarify what I am missing or have miscalculated.

Here is what I have so far:

Thanks again!!!

Hi Kiley,
It looks like your project is really coming along!

There are multiple ways of achieving the layout with the text right next to the picture, instead of underneath.

One common way to do this is to use a grid display with two columns - one for the picture and one for the title and subtitle text. In order to set this up, you would need to set up a parent <div> that contains the image and the text together, and give that parent container display: grid and set up the columns there. That would allow the picture and and text to line up side by side across the the two columns.

This is looking really good! I think you are almost there!
Jesse

1 Like