Does touch typing matter?

Hello guys. so all my life i’ve learned to type the “wrong” way. Instead of the standard asdf jkl; placement, basically I type using all 4 fingers of my left hand, but only use index and middle finger for my right hand. I have a decent typing speed with this method, about 55-60 wpm. Is it worth it to learn the right way to type, or should I stick with what makes me comfortable?

Ultimately, it’s up to you, friend. Lots of people use lots of different methods. That being said …

A lot of keyboard shortcuts (key-binds) assume that you’re using both hands and more than likely in the QWERTY layout. As you grow at being a developer efficiency, optimization, and adaptation becomes engrained into you. It starts with code and will eventually become a part of who you are.

“Senior” level developers look like masters of the keyboard. They tend to be amazing at hopping around from applications, organizing applications to look at things effectively, using application shortcuts to quickly look at things or run a chunk of code. When you watch someone who can zip around a computer … it can be inspiring.

Being a developer can sometimes be about training yourself to continually adapt and change. If you learned the “wrong” way … sometimes the best thing you can do is to put in the effort to learn the “right” way. More importantly … how you can adopt the “right” way and blend it in to your “wrong” way … to just make it “your” way. Developers continually do this with libraries, design patterns, languages, frameworks … a lot of our industry is predicated upon being comfortable with change.

But like I said at the start … do what works for you. Especially as you’re starting out. Just be aware of it and try not to let little things derail learning the foundations of coding. If it works for you. Hey, it works for you!

I hope that helps! :heart: :blue_heart: :green_heart: :yellow_heart: :purple_heart:

1 Like

I also type with 4 fingers like you but I find it very good to type and have no problems