App Academy

Boolean Project 1- missing logic gates

Hi there,

The answers for the first Boolean practice project do not include the logic gate solutions like they do for Project 2. Is this just me? Where can I find the solutions to learn/compare my answers?

Thank you!

Virginia

Hi Virginia,
I’m looking into this for you - I’ll get back to you soon!
Jesse

1 Like

Hi Virginia,

For Boolean Project #1, the logic gates are not included because we want you to really focus in on and practice simplifying the expressions.

Once you feel comfortable with the simplification, you can move on to Project #2, which adds in the logic gates.

Jesse

Okay, gotcha. Thank you, Jesse!

I have additional questions about logic gates.

1. How do you know which row of numbers to select for a logic gate from a Truth Table? Or could you form a logic gate from any row (as long as it is in the correct form)? I keep watching videos and doing readings on the subject, but none of these give a direct answer with actual numbers on why they used that specific row in the logic gate. It seems any row could have done. My only way of understanding is to look at the solutions first, and THEN look over my truth table to confirm them.

2. How do you determine which row of numbers to select for a logic gate from a K-Map? Or is it best to do a truth table every time (albeit lengthier) I need a logic gate?

I appreciate your help as always!!! Thank you!!

Virginia

Hi Virginia,
You can use any set of valid values from your truth table or k-map for your logic gate. In the assessment, you will be given a truth table, and asked to choose the logic circuit that represents it.

My only way of understanding is to look at the solutions first, and THEN look over my truth table to confirm them.

Given the question on the assessment, your strategy seems like a good way to solve the problem!
Jesse