Boolean Assessment Question

Hello,

I wont give the question specifically but it was basically asking for the simplified expression to the related k-map.

I’m a little confused because from what i figured there are 2 answers that from what i learned are the same.

if i figured the simplified expression is F = x’ + y’ and according to De Morgan’s Law F = x’ + y’ is the same as F = (xy)’ and for the answer it gives both expressions how do i know which one to choose if they’re the same? I can only choose one answer and i do not want to get it wrong bc of this. To me they’re one in the same but maybe applying De Morgan’s Law would be the more accurate simplified expression? if so, does that mean if I was to figure F = (xy)’ first would applying the law means that F= x’ + y’ is the most simplified expression?

2 Likes

I have the same question. Looking forward to seeing someone’s answer!

Hi @colie31 and @QuintinHull92! I just finished this assessment on Tuesday. I asked myself this a thousands times before submitting and I surprisingly got it right. It was helpful to me to go to our reading lectures and find that Identities table that is like a cheat sheet for the different simplest “AND” and “OR” form for a given variable expression (including DeMorgan’s Law). Since the table is trying to teach us the most simple form, then we can probably assume that in the table, they’d show us the form that is the least simple first, right? Does that make sense? I hope that helps. Good luck!

1 Like

Thanks @FullStackJunkie! I ended up giving it my best guess and got it right. My thought process was centered around whether applying DeMorgan’s Law actually simplified the expression or did it just write an equivalent expression. I’m not sure if my thought process was right or not…but I was lucky enough to get it right.

1 Like

Thanks @FullStackJunkie, passed my assessments and am just glad to know that i wasn’t the only one trying to figure this one out.

1 Like

Awesome @colie31 and @QuintinHull92! It’s great to know that you got it figured it out. You guys are like me. I love these forums but I have a love/hate relationship with getting help this way because of my lack of patience. LOL! I’m pretty sure I asked this same question and wasn’t patient enough to wait for a response so I did the research and finally deduced which one I thought was correct, and like you guys, I got it correct. In a way, I think it’s a benefit because it causes us to figure it out on our own.

I don’t know if you guys will be in the September cohort or not, but if so, I look forward to learning from you guys and working with you in class!!!

2 Likes

Im in the September cohort! Same, I find comfort knowing i will be in class with like minded individuals and being able to work and learn from each other. Hopefully even new friendships lol

2 Likes