Boolean algebra and logic assesment

Learning Challenge

Hi everyone, yesterday I took the boolean logic assessment and got 12/14. As I was going through the assessment, I knew I would probably get these two wrong as I didn’t really know how to do them and couldn’t find help from resources.

Question

The two I got wrong are:

1. Which of the following are correct for F(x, y, z) = xyz + x(yz)' + x'(y + z) + (xyz)' ?

2. For the truth table above where the wx input is down and the y input is across, which one of these is a simplified expression?Screen Shot 2020-09-17 at 9.54.15 AM

What I’ve tried

So I came up with the following answers:

1. I figured I was supposed to reverse what I do when I want to simplify a truth table into a boolean expression so I came up with
    F(0, 0, 0) = 1
    F(0, 0, 1) = 0
    F(1, 1, 1) = 1

2. For the second problem I did what I normally do to solve for a truth table, group the ones and simplify it down. But the answer I came up with F=(!W + !Y) wasn’t there so I looked at it again and went with the given answer F=!W(W + X + !Y)

If anyone can help explain to me what I am doing wrong I would greatly appreciate! Thank you!

Hi, I just completed this assessment last night.

For #1, you plug in the values into the expression. So when you see F(x, y, z), in the answers you plug in for example, F(0, 0, 0) for the values and then work out the expression. I hope that helps there. Also, there is an App Academy youtube of this with an App Academy instructor showing exactly how to do this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPufD4PEYvY&t=2045s

for #2, that one you have to be careful. Remember that values(00 01 10 11), have to be in a specific order. So look at it and remember about reordering them so it follows the rules.

I hope this helps!

I will absolutely try those, that would make a lot of sense! thank you!