Battleship #place_random_ship questions

Hi! I’m having trouble coding the place_random_ship method. Please HELP!
In the spec, it says “place ships until the board is full”
so I wrote:
def place_random_ship
raise “Sorry, there is no space for another ship!” if full?
size = @grid.length
random = rand(0…size-1)
@grid[random][random] = :s if empty?
unless full?
@grid[random][random] = :s
end
end # my method will fail the entire spec instead of giving me feedback of failures

but in the solution : #Why until empty? instead of until full?
def place_random_ship
raise “hell” if full?
pos = random_pos

until empty?(pos)
  pos = random_pos
end

self[pos] = :s  # since @grid is a two dimension arr, why are we replacing the entire subarr 

end #with :s instead of replacing just one element in the subarr with :s
# the example such as two_ship_grid [[:s,:s], [nil,nil]] has :s as element in the
# subarr instead of the main arr…
def randomize(count = 10)
count.times { place_random_ship }
end

def random_pos
[rand(size), rand(size)]
end

Can you tell me how the spec is failing? Is it giving you any error message?

It gives me :0 examples, 0 failures, 1 error occurred outside of examples

Does it tell you anything about that one error?

No, it’s like when you are missing an end or that kind of basic syntax error, the whole spec would not work

When you scroll to the top, it should tell you why the spec isn’t running. You should see a message such as syntax error, unexpected end-of-input, expecting keyword_end.

Thanks! I found the error message, it says something about ‘raise_error’, however, if i removed the second [random], just like the solution, the error message goes away.
WARNING: Using the raise_error matcher without providing a specific error or message risks false positives, since raise_error will match when Ruby raises a NoMethodError, NameError or ArgumentError, potentially allowing the expectation to pass without even executing the method you are intending to call. Actual error raised was #<RuntimeError: Sorry, there is no space for another ship!>. Instead consider providing a specific error class or message. This message can be suppressed by setting: RSpec::Expectations.configuration.on_potential_false_positives = :nothing. Called from /Users/admin/Desktop/Battleship/spec/board_spec.rb:97:in `block (4 levels) in <top (required)>’.