Battleship: moving past tests to playable game breaks tests

Hi all,

I’m working on the Battleship program. I’ve got all the rspec tests passing (woot!). But, I am finding that attempting to extend my code beyond them and have a playable game results in tests failing again. Do I need to care?

To give a better idea of what I am on about, as a basic example my BattleshipGame#play_turn method in the version that passes the tests is

def play_turn
      pos = player.get_play(@board)
      attack(pos)
      # puts "Hit Enter to continue."
      # gets
    end

In attempting to extend my rspec-passing code to a playable game, I put in the puts and gets lines commented out above as a means to freeze the output. My BattleshipGame#attack method displays some information about the results of the attack and without a gets somewhere it immediately disappeared from the screen. However, if the gets call is uncommented, this causes rspec tests of BattleshipGame#play_turn to fail:

BattleshipGame#play_turn gets a move from the player and makes an attack at that position
     Failure/Error: game.play_turn
     Errno::EISDIR:
       Is a directory @ io_fillbuf - fd:7 spec
     # ./lib/battleship.rb:50:in `gets'
     # ./lib/battleship.rb:50:in `gets'
     # ./lib/battleship.rb:50:in `play_turn'
     # ./spec/battleship_spec.rb:51:in `block (3 levels) in <top (required)>'

In the particular case, there are other ways to solve the issue that still result in all rspec tests passing. For instance, I can just move the offending lines into the BattleshipGame#attack method. This might even be better.

But, not all cases of rspec failures caused by extensions that I have made are so easily dealt with. In a couple of cases, it has been a bit difficult. I suspect that the root cause of the difficulty is my having a different organization of the program in mind than the organization that the writer of the rspec tests had in mind. It is also seems that the failing test doesn’t indicate a failure of the logic of my program.

So, my question is: if I got the rspec tests to pass and then my extending the game to a playable game or to the Bonus stages breaks the rsepc tests in ways like this, is that OK? Or, do I need to figure out a way to extend the game which will not result in breaking some tests? I don’t doubt that it can be done without breaking rspec tests, but it isn’t clear to me that the effort to do that is well spent. If I don’t need to care, how do I handle the submission? (Provide a minimal rspec passing version and my extended version?)

Thanks and sorry for the wall’o’text.

Brian

I think it’s a good exercise to see if you can get a playable version to work that still passes the specs. But if you get stuck somewhere, don’t hesitate to submit two versions, one that passes the specs and one that’s fully playable. Just make sure to label them.