Atom . command not working

I am staring to work on the first exercises in the Alpha Curriculum, and after (seemingly) successfully running:

bundle exec rspec --color

I am unable to open the files in Atom. I entered: atom . but am getting the following:

mynameis:appacademy-online-methods-exercises-6c5929a61e6e Max$ atom .
-bash: /usr/local/bin/atom: No such file or directory

What can I do to move forward?

Hi @mtrukhin

That’s an odd one. This might sound like a silly question, but is atom installed correctly and able to open from its icon, or is it only failing to load when called from the command line?

I believe that Atom is installed correctly (shell commands have been installed as well), it’s icon appears on my desktop and when I click it it opens. The issue seems to only come up when I call it from the command line.

…However, I just tried it again and it seems to be working now. May be a false alarm, but in case it happens again, do you what may have produced the error?

My guess is that the specific instance of your bash terminal hadn’t updated with the correct info. If it happens again, can you share a screenshot of the terminal?

Thank you! Yes, if it happens again I will share a screenshot.

Thanks again

it seems to be happening again:

Last login: Tue Dec 11 16:04:52 on ttys000
mynameis:~ Max$ atom .
-bash: atom: command not found
mynameis:~ Max$

After opening Atom manually (by clicking on the icon), Atom launches and then all of the previous “atom .” commands seem to process because atom opens multiple windows.