Allan James Lapid's Introduction ^.^

Hi there!

My full name is Allan James Lapid, and my nickname is AJ. I am excited to be a part of the New York City cohort that begins on July 3rd and ends on September 22nd!

A little bit about me. I am a Filipino-American who was born and raised in Brooklyn, New York, which is where I currently live. I spent four years studying Integrative Neuroscience at Binghamton University (SUNY). During that time, I took up a position at a political consulting firm for a summer and I also became certified by the New York State Department of Health as a Nursing Assistant over the course of the following summer. I learned a lot, and I would do it all over again in the same way…for the most part.

After graduating in May 2016, I decided to take a step back, clear my head, and delve into an area I didn’t give as much attention as I would’ve liked to give while I was a student - computer programming. I find it pretty ironic how the world of software engineering && full-stack development is present in almost everything nowadays yet I kept shelving it…constantly convincing myself that “I can always get to it later” and leaving it at that. While preparing to apply to App Academy, I learned more and more about computer science concepts and I felt what I can only describe as a “fire within” for the path I found myself on. Later became now.

This is the same “fire” I feel for my other passions, which include gaming, basketball, and powerlifting. I love understanding things from different angles, weighing out different philosophies, and being (or attempting to be) creative in anything I do if there exists a space for it. So, when a podcast described computer programming as “logic-based creativity” and when things started clicking with Ruby and I, the vibes of a familiar feeling came up…one that I was sure of and one that I seamlessly found myself at peace with. I look forward to perpetually traversing this particular set of mountains :sweat:

Other than that, I would just like to throw out one fun fact and one guilty pleasure.

Fun fact: I intend on participating in the USAPL federation next year and I will be attempting to break the New York State bench press and deadlift records for my age range and weight class by the time November 2018 rolls around.

Guilty pleasure: YouTube videos made by Wong Fu Productions :stuck_out_tongue:

I look forward to meeting you guys :smile:

Until then, take care!