A Ruby Project/ bundle: command not found / no write permissions

I get these errors after forking the Ruby Project, after having completed all the previous dotfile installs successfully (I think):

$ bundle install -bash: bundle: command not found $ gem install bundler ERROR: While executing gem ... (Gem::FilePermissionError) You don't have write permissions for the /Library/Ruby/Gems/2.0.0 directory.
I assume it has something to do with versions, or paths, but I wasn’t able to troubleshoot this with Google and previous answers.

For rbenv I also get a rbenv: command not found. Not sure if that was supposed to be installed. Please help!

Yep! You’re on the right track. I would start out with installing rbenv and see if that solves your issue.

I am having the same issue as lisza…Was rbenv mentioned in the environment setup section? I didn’t see it and not sure if it was supposed to be installed.

rbenv wasn’t mentioned explicitly, but gets installed with ~/.dotfiles/bin/install_requirements (from the environment setup section).

Got it, yeah I see that now. It says rbenv was installed for me, but I’m still getting the -bash: bundle: command not found message when I run bundle install.

bundler should be installed after rbenv. you can try running the script again and see if it completes without errors.
edit: gem install bundler works too, but some other things get installed and configured by the script after that, and bundler missing might be a sign that the script didn’t complete.

I’ve tried a bunch of things and got some of them fixed by going through the README for the .dotfiles/requirements (which was extremely helpful but hard to find!). rbenv is installed, ruby version 2.3.1 set as global. Yet I’m arriving at the same problem of not having write permissions for the /Library/Ruby/Gems/2.0.0 directory.

I suspect it has something to do with where I’m trying to install/ the path, or the ruby version my system is using. Compare below:

$ ruby --version ruby 2.0.0p481 (2014-05-08 revision 45883) [universal.x86_64-darwin13] $ rbenv global 2.3.1
Notes:
I couldn’t download the full, new Xcode.apps yet (for boring reasons), thus I couldn’t install qt. I do have a version of Xcode and command line tools though. Dunno if that could possibly be related to my gem install bundler problem.

Is there any way to get help with this from App Academy?

getting a similar issue:
Saras-MacBook-Pro:ruby-project saraginsburg$ bundle install
-bash: bundle: command not found
Saras-MacBook-Pro:ruby-project saraginsburg$

Hi Sara, this finally worked for me, maybe it’ll solve your problem as well (if you get a permissions error when running gem install bundle): http://stackoverflow.com/a/32190234

Thanks Lisza, that worked for me as well!

Thank you, Lis
It works!!!